Monday, January 7, 2019

Welcome to the Wayfarer’s Roost!


Welcome to The Wayfarer’s Roost! This is, in case you haven’t noticed, my first post. I’m excited to start visiting here more often. This is, however, not my first blog. I tried Tumblr for a time, (and even tried to launch the Roost there) but with everything going down on that site I decided to delete my blogs and move entirely off the site. It’s a little bittersweet – I had a lot of awful art on there, but a lot of great memories too. And remembering both the good and the bad is a main reason why I feel like it would be great to have a new, proper place to record those memories and share them with interested passerby: hence The Wayfarer’s Roost. My past blogs were little more than extensions of my Instagram feed, and thus rather redundant. Although I enjoy posting art on Instagram, there just isn’t much room in those little captions for exploring thoughts, detailing process, or setting down ebenezers (stones of remembrance). I realized most of this while reading through Nicholas Kole’s Blog on Happy Rock. I’ve followed Nick on Instagram for some time now, but it wasn’t until I started reading his blog that I was able to see a richer portrait of the man unfold. I’ve been so blessed by the insights he was able to share there and by the story of his journey from art student to professional artist. I was able to travel back in time and see the deep joys and moments of mourning that made him the man and artist he is today. But one thing I really liked about Kole’s blog was the metaphors he used to describe it – he posts onto the “happy rock,” he tends it like a garden, he meets with people there – in short, The Blog on Happy Rock feels like a real place. I want The Wayfarer’s Roost to feel like a place too. I’m glad you’re here!
I feel like now is a real exciting time to start writing a serious attempt at a blog. I’m rapidly approaching the halfway mark of my time at Lipscomb, and my future as a working adult is beginning to knock more and more heavily upon my mind. I’m deep into what Kole calls “art-puberty” – I’m experimenting and trying to find out how to draw all the things in a way that I like! I’ve been told I have a style, but don’t ask me to define what it is. In a few months I will apply to animation internships for the first time.  Who knows where I will end up! Two things are for sure (more or less) – I’ll document it all here at The Wayfarer’s Roost (less sure), and God has great things planed for me and you (way more sure)!
If you’d like to see the older stuff from my past tumblrs, most of it is still on my Instagram. I’ll be posting a bit of it here over the next couple weeks, but I want to keep the Wayfarer’s Roost moving forward and filled with slightly different fare than my Instagram. Hopefully those of you who follow me on both places will find something enjoyable from each! I plan on saving the longer reflections and process details for the Roost, so if that sounds interesting, I hope you stick around! I’m excited to get going!

See you soon,
dh

No comments:

Post a Comment