Monday, April 22, 2019

Lipscomb Animation Caricature Show 2019

Caricature time! 

Call me a little biased, but I love the Lipscomb Caricature Show! I started it last year after learning how Disney does one every April, which generates a lot of good artwork and seems very fun! (Check Bobby Pontillas' stuff if you don't believe me). Our show is fairly similar - before spring finals get too rough, students in the animation department take time draw each other (mostly in friendly and non-offensive ways) and then we pin all the art up in the animation lab. It's kind of like an end of year party for the animation majors and everyone enjoys seeing themselves in a friend's style!

I really dove into my caricatures this year and used them as an avenue to explore new styles that I wanted to try, mainly Ieafy, David Depasquale, and Nick Kole's digital watercolor work. And I did them all on Procreate so that I could get a better grip of the software and make some new brushes in the process (where the free Procreate brushes at???) I still really like working on the Ipad - I feel like I can do most anything I can do on Photoshop with it, although sketching is still a little clunky. I still can't sketch as well digitally as I do on paper, no matter the platform. I loved working in Ieafy's style, studying her use of color, and building texture through layers with an untextured brush. Here's an Ieafy-styled one to start things off:



I had to do a caricature of Naomi Bethel, one of the first animation students I met from Lipscomb and a constant friend throughout my time here! So sad that she is leaving all too soon (MAY!!!) but happy that she will be out in LA gettin' a job and paving the way for the rest of us!


Madi Williams - animation freshman and world traveler. Do not accept her odds, do not challenge her to odds, or you will regret it and/or have to jump over an actual fire.


And here the tone changes entirely - in my personal ink work I sometimes like to try David Depasquale's angular, monochrome style, which helped to depict the regal, strong lady that is Audrey Witherspoon


Professor Pepper! The reason why I will always be a big fan of gestural drawings and pieces.




Asher Styers feat. long boi and the hundreds of other cats he knows, draws, and loves.


A minimalist Sam Abner


Head Animation Professor Tom Bancroft. Keep fighting the good fight, Tom.



My fellow animation students put a lot of work into their caricatures and made this show the best yet! We also had donuts this year, which may have helped. I love this show because it's a dual celebration of the people in our program, and the talent they have!





I was surprised to find myself as a popular subject of caricatures! And since I think they are great drawings, and I'm more than a little egotistical, I wanted to share them all here.


Madi Williams




Naomi Bethel







Asher Styers


Hope you enjoyed this small selection of the show!

-dh

No comments:

Post a Comment