Saturday, August 15, 2020

Checking In with a Troll

 Hi all!

I wanted to make a little post since I recently drew this guy and wanted to share him here:

i just think he's neat

He's my design for a Hilda troll - the show's social media was doing a trolls design challenge and it was the perfect low pressure prompt to fit in while on the many breaks that have been happening during RA training. A combination of mostly online training sessions and a new RHD with a different leadership style have meant that we have a surprising amount of free time (which was NOT the case last year). In reality, there are very few things that are like last year. And it's been tough! Some of my favorite RHDs (RA bosses) quit and moved off campus, my best friend resigned from being an RA and moved off campus, and of course there's loads of covid info and worry to deal with. I'm also adjusting to wearing a mask throughout much of the day which was not the case at home... 

Around this time last year my work involved a lot of furniture moving and physical exhaustion, but this year's burden looks to be more on the emotional and mental side. There have been some tough days, some real downer Zoom training sessions, and it's weird being on campus yet still being so isolated from the other RA teams. It's not going to be like junior year, and that makes me kinda sad. Cause junior year rocked. I got to make a short film, hang out with a large RA community, go to plays and christmas tree lightings and Hutchmoot. And this year just seems ... not like that. 

Funny how all the optimism and gratitude of my previous post would be tested pretty much immediately - I guess it's one thing to be excited about returning to community but then another stay excited when that community is much different or less than you imagined. It's a challenge to be grateful for the food when you're still a little hungry, if you know what I mean. 

Some things are like last year. I've had several long talks with old friends. The girl RAs are putting up with building frustrations and general chaos. Despite being a new hire the the Johnson RHD makes things feel just like they used to be with her overflowing (even if unintentional) sense of humor. And I think as move-in day gets closer, and with it my animation friends, things may start to feel less strange and worrisome. As I watched the animation upperclassman zoom the other night I was reminded that this week of training isn't college. College for me is RAs and animators. And musicians. And everyone else who makes up campus that is not here yet (which this year, will include my brother!) And even those off campus who have made this time feel special. 

This school year is going to be different, and hard. It may not even be all on campus. But it's the year we're given. I'm going to mourn the loss and seek the present joy, strive for contentment and yet avoid apathy. I won't do it perfectly, and I'm really hoping the adventurous and even optimistic attitude I cultivated during the summer won't vanish during this new season. Cause despite it all, I'm still really excited about the future. I still want to get out there, live life, and draw All the Things. It's just difficult to balance that with all the caution (both well-advised and excessive) that's telling me to stay in, lock down, and wait this thing out. 

I'm not going to attempt to resolve that moral quandary now, but will be figuring it out with each new day here on campus - and hopefully there will be many. To my school friends - I'm excited to see you guys soon!

May we continue to weather these times with grace, courage, and creativity.
-dh


Show Recommendation: I've been watching the British comedy game show Taskmaster a TON over the past month. Although the humor may feel a little foreign at times, watching entertaining people finding inventive ways to tackle crazy tasks makes the show a fun watch for anybody! The show's official account has put several seasons on YouTube for free, so you don't need to pay a subscription or resort to piracy to watch it!


No comments:

Post a Comment