Thursday, July 11, 2024

Driving 1000 Miles for $800

Hey Bloggerfolk!

I didn’t expect to be back so soon with another travel vlog, but when you’ve lived to tell the tale of a wild road trip through two of my favorite states, sweating it out in multiple 2-3 hour lines all in the hope of store credit… well you must tell the tale!

(You can also watch this on Instagram if that’s your cup of tea.)




My favorite used bookstore, McKay’s, did a promotion so massive not even they could have expected the turnout it would generate: visit all five of their locations, earn up to $800 credit. Turns out most of the travelers had the same idea we did and started in North Carolina, which then overwhelmed store after store as the horde moved west. Despite the lack of line management or crowd control, McKay’s made it as easy as possible to get the cash, extending store hours and allowing participants to skip whole stores altogether. As a result, we only waited at two stores and still got the full amount. (We still drove the whole distance though, which was 570 miles/9.5 hours one way.) With a lot on the line, I was surprised how gracious the company was, and how professional and kind their staff remained throughout the day!

Although we mostly listened to dad rock on the drive, I ultimately wanted to use Ginger Root’s “No Problems” for the vlog, due to its kinetic energy and double meanings. The trip had its share of problems, but it’s also hard to complain when you get to spend a whole day with your friends and earn $800 by the end of it. I’m loving editing more and more to music - maybe I should do a music video someday! :P

Hope y’all are enjoying the addition of travel videos on the channel! I am hard at work on the next animated project too but am glad to not have year+ long gaps between my uploads.

Thanks for watching and reading, and I hope you’re staying cool this summer!

-dh

No comments:

Post a Comment