Monday, February 15, 2021

What Very Well May Be the Last Snow Day Ever

A Merry Bizzardmas to you, bloggerfolk!

I'm coming at you live from my couch where I am currently wrapped in a blanket, chai in hand, Nintendo winter music in ... ears? Outside the window, bitter drops of ice pretending to be snow are blissfully falling beyond the Christmas lights I have left up (and will continue to leave up, thank you). I have previously embarked on not one, but two walks through the snow. The roads are still totally white and I haven't seen a single plow (except for a bobcat trying its best in the parking lot). 

Today has been a good day. 

Yet despite the high level of coziness I am currently feeling, it saddens me to think that yet another thing Covid has taken away from us is the beloved snow day. I received emails last night delighting in the fact that my school's robust online infrastructure allows "learning to continue during these unforseen circumstances." Also, as I'm essentially a work-from-home-indie-animator right now (since thesis takes up 70% of my school time) it's hard to see why I shouldn't be working on my perfectly available, entirely defrosted Cintiq even if classes were cancelled. 

Are my days of enjoying snow days over? 

Not if I have anything to say about it. Because on some days, you must shake your fist, and in the voice of a disgruntled British office worker exclaim "hang productivity!!" And merrily go tromping off into the frozen wastes. Today I'm letting nature intrude into my daily schedule. The roads are bad, and the trees are pretty. I'm fairly certain between those two reasons everyone is justified to take the day off. Snow days offer us a renewed invitation to delight in our everyday surroundings, AND free up the time for us to do so. We may have lost the second part due to online learning, but I want to hold on to the first. I do hope we won't forget this hallowed tradition anytime soon, and I'll be doing my part to keep these finest days of winter more than just another workday. Come join me (outside, in the snow, rebelliously bucking society's expectations.)


Frost-fully yours,

dh

artsy pics or it didn't happen


PS

I yet again edge ever closer to needing to add a Works Cited to these posts, but if you want to hear someone who agrees with me offer a more logical argument in defense of the Snow Day, look no further.

No comments:

Post a Comment