Monday, November 16, 2020

WOLFWALKERS

wolfwalker spirit

So I got the chance to see Wolfwalkers the other night, and (to quote the film) it was flippin' great. I've been looking forward to this film for a while now, worried that it wouldn't come to US theatres or that they wouldn't be open if it did. But the skies parted, our local art-house cinema reopened the very weekend Wolfwalkers debuted, and I got to see the film on the big screen in a theatre filled only by me and my friends. (Filled being a slight exaggeration - there were only about 6 of us, socially distanced across the entire room.) Yet it was SO FUN - the movie is so well crafted and a joy to watch. Rarely do you get to see a movie that truly develops animation as a medium but this is one of them. I loved how the animation and background style changes depending on whether we're in the town or the wild. I geeked out about how sometimes when a character moves quickly, their color takes a second to catch up with them. I was surprised by collage style compositions with grainy lines restricting the aspect ratios. Though predictable at points, this was honestly the most invested I've been in the story of a CS movie - it makes great use of abstract elements to build tension in a huge way. And it was so fun to once again get immersed in a magical world of Irish folklore courtesy of Cartoon Saloon. It's a movie that's captured my imagination in a big way, and I've been thinking about it this whole day (hence the fast turnaround on some fanart). 

And as you might have guessed, it's got me even more pumped up about trying to get to Kilkenny. Despite Covid, despite the Irish Government's confusing visa laws, despite my own faltering lack of skill - I want to be where people are taking chances and telling great stories. 

And where the woods are wild. 

-dh


Related Music Recommendation: Been jamming to this song from the Wolfwalker's soundtrack - hoping an official version will come to Spotify soon so I don't have to keep listening to it on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment